The Golden Gate
Address: Volodimirska, 40-A
Golden Gate (Ukrainian – Zoloti Vorota) – the historic entrance to Kiev. Name «Golden Gate» also are nearby theater, and the Kiev subway station.
Golden Gate – the main, triumphal gate of ancient Kyiv. The name received from the Golden Gate of Constantinople, performing similar functions. Golden Gate was one of three large gates built with Yaroslav the Wise. Their construction, along with St. Sophia Cathedral is mentioned in chronicles in 1037. In 1240 the gates hard hit during the siege and capture of the city of Bata hordes. From the records of travelers XVI-XVII centuries and drawings Van Vesterfelda A. (1651) know that already by that time they were dilapidated.
Golden Gate remained in the city gates (often used for ceremonial purposes) prior to the XVIII century, although over time more and more turned into ruins. In 1832 the first steps have been taken for their conservation. In 1970 near the ruins was built pavilion, which has a small museum dedicated to the history of the Golden Gate.
In 1982, the 1500 anniversary of Kiev, Golden Gate has been fully reconstructed, despite the fact that it is not kept accurate images or plans of how they looked in the past.
Museum Golden Gate
In the middle of the pavilion reconstructed Golden Gate is located exhibition devoted to the history of construction and reconstruction of the main gate of ancient Kyiv. Central part of the exhibition are the remnants of the ancient walls of the gate, which survived to our time. Built in the XI century., Destroyed over several centuries, were finally hidden underground in the XVII century .. In 1832 K. Lohvitsky conducted excavations of Golden Gate. Until 1982, when the pavilion was built, remains of walls standing in the open air.
By the walls of the first half of XI century in some places, adjacent higher walls made of the same “hybrid” technology, but differs from the original thickness and color plinfy solution. This should repair the gate, held in the XII century. Inside the pavilion is well-visible side of the wall that adjoined in antiquity to the shaft and had been deprived of a decorative treatment. They are visible prints logs vnutrivalnyh structures, which consisted of small and large log, in the form of nine thick stands of timber filled with soil. On the field in front of the gate trench width was 15 meters and a depth of 8 meters. Traces of the pit can be seen today in a differential level of travel to the Golden Gate.